Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
After a water damage loss happens in your home, you will want to take into consideration a few things
Safety comes first, so be sure to check the following:
- If there is standing water, avoid stepping in it
- Turn off the water supply to the house until help arrives and professionals takeover the situation
- Turn off power if there is standing water as electricity and water do not mix well
- If there is no standing water, just wetness, lift furniture and remove valuables that may be affected
- Always ask yourself and the people living with you, "is it safe to stay here? Should we relocate until restoration is complete?"
SERVPRO of Fredericksburg will be able to answer these questions and provide further assistance with your water damage problem. Our team is highly trained and will go above and beyond to insure safety of your family and belongings.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (540) 373-7000
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.