If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (540) 373-7000

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Flammable Everyday Items

12/9/2021 (Permalink)

At SERVPRO of Fredericksburg, our teams respond to multiple Fire Damage calls every month.  Upon arrival, we first find the source of damage/ start of fire.  Most indoor fires are started from flammable items.  Here are some highly flammable items to keep in mind when using them:

Rubbing Alcohol- The main ingredient in rubbing alcohol is alcohol.  Alcohol is a very flammable substance and should not be used anywhere around high heat sources.  If mixed with open flames, alcohol reacts quickly and spreads fires very fast and uncontrollably.  Many people do not realize how dangerous rubbing alcohol really is.

Aerosols- Often, we find aerosols in forms of deodorants, spray paints, hair sprays, and some cleaning products.  Kids often get to an age where they may find it fun to light a lighter while spraying one of these chemical products.  These products are highly flammable and not to be used around open flame or high heat.  They are not something to play with.

Mattresses- Many mattress fires start in homes of smokers.  Even though it is frowned upon, many smokers do smoke in bed.  Hot ask on mattresses causes smoke and flames.  These particular fires normally start small but when flame starts on mattresses, it goes up quick and is hard to put out.

Nail Polish & Remover- Nail polish and removers seem harmless, but they are not.  Many people do not know to what extent nail polishes are flammable.

Dryer Lint- SERVPRO has responded to many dryer fires and this highly due to the mix of the dryer’s high heat and the lint formed from the clothing.  Make sure to remove the lint from the dryer as it can cause the dryer to overheat and the lint to catch fire. 

Cooking Oil- Ah, cooking oil; one of the number one source of kitchen fires.  When cooking oil or grease fires start, do not throw the pan in the sink.  It will cause more damage.  Use a fire extinguisher or baking soda if you have enough.  Whatever you do, do not add water to a grease or oil-based fire.

If you do experience a fire, call SERVPRO of Fredericksburg.  We have a trained team of professionals to take care of the damage for you and make it "Like it never even happened."

Other News

View Recent Posts