Sprucing up your home for the winter
In preparing to spruce up your home for the winter, call SERVPRO® of Fredericksburg at 540-373-7000 to provide you with all our expert non-emergency home services. Carpet Cleaning, Upholstery Cleaning, Drapery Cleaning and HVAC/Duct Cleaning Services.
Here is a list to help you prepare your home for the winter months ahead.
• Seal gaps and cracks around windows and doors with weather-stripping and caulk. Take down screens and put down storm windows.
• Inspect your roof for damaged or curled shingles, corroded flashing, or leaky vents.
• Take steps to repair damaged sidewalks, driveways, and steps.
• Drain and winterize outdoor faucets and irrigation systems.
• Have a professional inspect your heating system.
• Schedule a chimney sweep company to inspect your fireplace for soot or creosote build-up and cracks.
• Inspect gutters and downspouts for clogs and make sure they are secured to the building.
• Wood stoves are making a comeback. To avoid a deadly situation, be sure to inspect yours before firing it up.
• Start your generator and prepare it for winter.
• A home safety check should be an annual ritual in every household. Test smoke and CO monitors, inspect (or install) fire extinguishers, review fire escape plans.